The huge range of opportunities available at Waimea College is what sets us apart. We offer a broad curriculum, with one of the largest range of subjects of any school in the country. This means there is something here for you to individualise your learning. Our staff are well-qualified and carefully selected professionals. They are committed to supporting your achievement and success in all curriculum areas.
“Waimea College provides a wide range of learning opportunities, as well as extra-curricular activities. Whether it’s Academics, Sports or Arts, Waimea College has it all.”
— Hayden, Year 12
What we offer
At junior level there are several compulsory subjects from the eight learning areas of the New Zealand Curriculum. In addition, you can select from a range of option and enrichment subjects. Enrichment subjects offer cross-curriculum opportunities featuring 21st Century learning that is engaging and responsive to your needs and focusing on the key competencies.
The College offers:
- a comprehensive range of subjects from Year 9 to 13 leading to the National Certificate of Educational Achievement (NCEA) Levels 1, 2 and 3;
- a comprehensive range of senior subjects including Trades Academy and Vocational Pathway options;
- education of Tikanga Māori and Te Reo Māori;
- a technology rich curriculum delivery including BYOD (Bring Your Own Device);
- additional opportunities to accelerate learning and extend any special abilities in a range of curriculum areas;
- additional assistance if you need help with your learning, via specialised support through our student support network.
A strong focus on values-based education and our consistently high expectations for student behaviour supports your achievement and success.
2024 Course Booklets
2024 Enrolments Are Now Open
In Year 9
All students will have year-long courses in English, Mathematics, Science, Social Studies and Health & Physical Education. They will also study units from The Arts, Technology and Languages. Students will also choose 4 Enrichment courses.
In Year 10
Students in Year 10 will continue with year-long courses in English, Mathematics, Science, Social Studies and Health & Physical Education. They will also have option choices and enrichment courses.
In Year 11
Students will study 6 subjects. English and Mathematics are compulsory.
In Year 12
Students must study English, and five other courses earning credits towards NCEA. Our Employment Skills programme allows a reduced number of subjects and provides work experience placements.
In Year 13
Most students will select five subjects. Depending on their abilities and goals, some students may wish to do a combination of academic courses and others that lead to more vocationally-based qualifications.