Our homestay families are one of our most valuable resources and will form a crucial part of shaping your experience here in New Zealand. Your homestay family will teach you about the New Zealand way of life. They will introduce you to their own friends and family, show you around our beautiful region and might even take you away on holiday with them.
All international students enrolled at Waimea College are provided with local homestay accommodation. Our host families have all undergone a full police check on each member of the household over 18 years of age and have been approved by Megan Wright, our Waimea College Homestay Co-ordinator. Families are visited regularly, and Megan is available at the school to support students and families through any queries they may have.
Matching our incoming international students with the right homestay family is an important part of our job. The information you provide about yourself on your application form will be the basis of how we select your New Zealand host family so please tell us as much about you and your life as possible. We want to know all about your own family, your interests, what you’d like to achieve out of your time in New Zealand and what is important to you in your New Zealand host family when you apply. If you’d like to live in a rural homestay (e.g. on a farm or orchard) we are usually able to provide for this. Please indicate if this is your preference when you fill in your application form.
Frequently Asked Questions
When will I know who my host family will be?
Should I contact my New Zealand host family?
What if I don’t like the host family profile I receive?
Should I get my New Zealand host family a gift?
My family is coming to visit me in New Zealand, what should I do?
I have a different question – who can I ask?
Please contact Megan Wright, International Homestay Co-ordinator for further information. She can be contacted on +64 3 544 6099 (ext 868) or firstname.lastname@example.org
Interested in Becoming a Homestay Family?
Hosting an international student is a fantastic opportunity to bring genuine culture and diversity into your own home. It enables your family to meet and connect with a family from another country, and is an opportunity for your son or daughter to have an international brother or sister from abroad.
Become a part of our Waimea College Host Family Community and enjoy:
- Welcoming a young person from another country into your family home for 3, 6 or 12 months
- Host Parent Workshops each term to support you in developing your skills as a host parent
- Social days or evenings twice yearly where you can meet other host families and international students
- Purposeful matching of your family with an appropriate international student
- Ongoing support from our Waimea College Homestay Co-ordinator and international department
Waimea College Criteria for becoming a Homestay Family:
- You love the idea of welcoming an international student into your family home;
- Your home is in the Richmond area;
- You are able to provide the student with their own room, as well as a desk and chair for studying at;
- All members of your household over 18 must have a clean police record.
Please contact Megan Wright for further information on 544 6099 (ext 868) or email@example.com