The Prime Minister announced today that Cabinet agreed to remove the COVID-19 Protection Framework as of tonight, Monday 12 September at 11.59pm.
This update provides you with information about the following changes after this afternoon’s announcements that come into effect from 11:59 pm tonight (12 September 2022).
- Household contacts of COVID-19 cases
- Mask wearing
- What we will continue to do at school to promote well-being
- What we are requesting you to do, as parents and caregivers, to support us to keep your teen, our staff, and other students well and able to continue to attend school
Household Contacts of COVID-19 cases
Household contacts of COVID-19 cases will no longer need to isolate, but instead should undertake a RAT test every day for 5 days. RAT tests can be ordered free online and Waimea College also has supplies for student use that can be obtained at the student or main office.
This change will mean that teens who are asymptomatic household contacts of confirmed cases will be able to attend school in person, carrying out RAT test every day for 5 days.
Isolating for 7 days remains a requirement for everyone who tests positive.
Following today’s announcement mask wearing is no longer strongly recommended by the government, however any staff member or student who wishes to continue this practice will be supported to do so. Face masks will continue to be available at school for those who wish to wear them.
What we are doing at school:
At Waimea College we will continue to:
- Support any student wishing to wear a mask. We will continue to have supplies of face masks for students.
- Encourage students to wash/sanitise their hands regularly
- Provide hand sanitiser for use in classrooms
- Ventilate classrooms and shared spaces
- Promote physical distancing where appropriate
- Monitor the health of ourselves and our students on site
- Call you to collect your teen if they are unwell.
What we are requesting you to do:
- Monitor your child’s health
- Test your teen every day for 5 days should someone in your household test positive
- If your teen tests positive for COVID-19 they must isolate for 7 days. Please continue to advise the attendance office that your teen is isolating with COVID-19.
- If your teen is unwell for any other reason, please keep them at home and advise the attendance office.
Thank you again for your ongoing support.
Noho ora mai,
By Scott Haines