Waimea’s Strategic Direction with BYOD:
Our BYOD Strategy:
Our BYOD Strategy has been formed through a combination of research of emerging best practice, learning from schools who are further ahead of us in this area and listening to the views and needs of our staff in various forums.
In order to achieve our vision of enabling and enhancing learning without limits, we need to focus on the three areas to the left.
For 2016 our BYOD Status is “BYOD friendly with Year 12 and Year 13 students encouraged to Bring their Own Device”
What does this mean?
This means that if students have a device, and if they want to bring it to school, the school will support them to connect their device to our internet. This applies to all students, but with a particular emphasis on Year 12 and Year 13 students whom we are encouraging to bring devices for 2016. To help with choosing a device we have partnered with Noel Leeming in Queens St, Richmond.
If you go to the store, they will help you make an appropriate choice based on your student’s subject choices.
They have preferential pricing on devices and payment options to make it easier to purchase a device. Device options are always changing but some guidelines are:
- Long battery life (6+ hours)
- Portable and light (generally a smaller screen size)
- An SSD (solid state drive) this results in a smaller device storage space but quicker startup times.
- a case is a good idea as warranties do not cover accidental screen damage.
2016 BYOD Action Planning
There’s heaps happening to help move us forward during 2016
- Building a picture of what good looks like
- Looking at emerging best practice in NZ and elsewhere
- Researching what works – the internet is full of BYOD content
- Visiting BYOD Schools to learn from them
- Sharing Good Practice
- Putting BYOD experts in front of our staff
- A mixture of school-wide and self-select BYOD PD opportunities for staff
- Self-Review: Refinement and Adjustment
- Undertake a BYOD Stocktake to see where we are at
- Further BYOD Infrastructure Planning
- Undertake Staff Needs Analysis
Some Interesting BYOD Resources
The internet is full of great BYOD Resources – here’s a few that have helped shape our thinking.
- Why BYOD? (2 minutes)
- Changing Education Paradigms by Sir Ken Robinson (11 minutes)
- Ed Talks – Different video clips focussed around BYOD in NZ and overseas schools